Settling in Monaco

Fulfilling the requirements

Anyone who is more than 16 years of age and wishes to reside in Monaco for more than three months in a year, must apply for a residence permit issued by the Monégasque authorities.

Before making any application to the Principality, nationals of countries outside the European Economic Area (EEE), including Japanese nationals, must apply for a long-term visa for Monaco, issued by the French authorities. Please note that minors also require a visa.

For more information about visas please visit the French Embassy's website in Japan.

In all cases, you must:

  • Prove that you have accommodation in Monaco
  • Guarantee that you have sufficient financial resources
  • Prove that you are of good character

Get more information

  • La Cellule Attractivité - the main contact for people wishing to set up in the Principality on a private basis - 2, rue du Gabian (5th floor) - (+377) 98 98 98 98
  • The Monaco Business Office - for all enquiries relating to setting up a business in the Principality - 9, rue du Gabian (2nd floor) - (+377) 98 98 00
    (+377) 98 98 98 98 -
  • Police Department - Administrative Police Division - Residency responsible for Residence Permit applications  - 3, rue Louis Notari  98000 Monaco - (+377) 93 15 30

Obtaining a residence permit

Applications for residence permits are dealt with by the Residency of the Police Department. The application process varies depending on the plans and the background of the applicant.

Access all information and services on the Public Service section of the Prince’s Government website: